Wednesday, 16 June 2010

Creativity in the U.K.--The Semantically Unfamiliar

The following blogs entitled "Creativity in the U.K." are pictures of sights around the United Kingdom that are very different from life in the United States. It is fun to compare and contrast the differences. I have included my opinions below each picture. (This is also for my Advertising class). Enjoy!

1) I chose this picture because the phrase “to let” is such a weird phrase to use for renting. To me, the word “let” can have more than one meaning.

2) I chose this picture because I like the tone that you get from it. “Ladies” sounds much more gentle and decent than “women”. It doesn’t seem like a huge difference, but the vibe that you get from each word is completely different.

3) I chose this picture because I think this phrase is totally unnecessary and too long! “To-go” is much easier to understand and is more efficient in seeing the message and getting what you want. In this case, I do not prefer the gentle tone that you get from this message. I prefer the more direct nature of American phrases.

4) I chose this picture because I think this phrase is ridiculously funny! Why is it necessary to use “engaged” when referring to a toilet, let alone a water closet? “Engaged” sounds so formal and I do not think of toilets this way.

5) I chose this picture because I find it fascinating. Growing up in the United States, I learned about Hitler throughout history, but to see such an artifact in Europe (where he actually terrorized people) makes the message more significant. If I were living during Hitler’s time in the United States, such a poster would not be semantically familiar. This is why I still think it is unfamiliar to our American culture today. It is quite a sad message too.

No comments:

Post a Comment